Popular Posts

30 December 2015

I got up and went!

I remember one of the lowest points in my life a few years ago when I sat in the streets of Aukland park with the weight of the world on my shoulders and wept. 
I had no money, no mother, no father, no airtime and no place to stay. 
I desperately needed to move near school but there was nothing and no solution in sight. 
I did not want to call my aunt because I knew she'd use her last whatever as a sacrifice for me.
I did not want to call my gran as I knew she too had nothing. 
So there I was...alone...sitting on a corner and I wept. 
A street kid from somewhere around there who knew me came to me and tried to console me. 
How ironic the whole scene was , but also how sad it looked. 
He begged me not to cry because people would think he did something to me. 
I was too sad and too upset and too soaked up in myself that not for one minute did I stop my tears look at him and think about what his life might be like. 

I had the option to pick up a phone and tell someone what was happening.
I had the option to maybe quit school get a job and go back to my studies later. 
I had OPTIONS! 
There he was filthy and stinky as he was, no matric, no education, no home, no family and he was comforting me! 
He probably had his own issues of being unsure of what he'd eat in two days time, unsure of where he would sleep tonight, unsure of his tomorrow and the day after that and he was comforting me...someone who had had breakfast that morning, I had clean clothes on...and I was in tears because I could not find accommodation and was missing out on school.
He'd never entered the gates of the varsity where I sat and cried and yet he was happier than I was. 
he was content...always smiling and comforting people like me,

I am not down playing my struggles which were very real to me, but I am however saying that don't ever forget that you have more than you need. Someone out there has even less than you and yet they don't sit and bask in their problems. They move on, upwards and forward.
Get up and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment